Saturday, March 8, 2008

Istanbul, Turkey- Jan 2005

So this qualifies as a very very outdated post. I'm somewhere with a flatbed scanner and a lot of time on my hands. So I thought now would be a good time to do some back-posting. My husband and I went to Turkey in the off season. Which explains the grey skies you see in these photos. It was very cold and (despite our big plans) we were never able to get outside Istanbul because of the weather. My husband had spent a month there back in July 2001 and he is still dying to take me back and show me all the parts of Turkey I missed. It was a great trip, although I recommend packing very warm clothes if you go in the winter like we did.
We stayed in a lovely little place called The SiDE Hotel/Pension with very simple rooms in a great location. Some things we saw and can recommend in Istanbul include:


  • Aya Sophia (photo above)
  • Grand Bazaar. We had a friend of a friend who helped us select a lovely wool carpet.
  • Blue Mosque/Sultan Ahmed
  • Hagia Irene
  • Basilica Cistern (photo above)
  • Suleymaniye Mosque
  • Istiklal Avenue, and
  • just walking the streets...

No comments: